Monday, January 4, 2010

One Simple (yet not so minimalist-friendly) Love


There are things that we all love in this world. One of my loves is Book. Well, books. plural. The bigger the plural, the better. I adore bookstores. I covet the expansive collections in libraries. I could spend hours upon days upon years just browsing and sniffing and touching (followed by a good douse of Purel, of course) all of the books that are in used/half-price/thrift stores.
For the past few months, I have been compiling my Summer Reading List. Now that I have summers again, I plan to spend the majority of that time in the sun while devouring delightful book after page-turning adventure-keeper. Don't worry, it's mostly in preparation for work... so, technically, it IS work... and many of these books will be middle-school level-early high school level reads, but it just so happens that I am really excited to have an excuse to read all of the classic pieces of literature that I was never forced to (or took the opportunity to) as I progressed through school. I'm also extremely excited about re-living the adventures that I remember (or have forgotten) that I was so intrigued by when I was in middle school. For example, starting tomorrow, my students will be beginning units on Hatchet by Gary Paulsen and The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. Both great novels, and I've got some really fun (I hope/think?!) projects planned for my kiddos for the six weeks.




ANYhow...so, this Summer Reading List. My goal for the summer was originally to read 100 books. However, once I ran the numbers, I figured I'll have about 10 weeks of no school from the end of this semester to the beginning of staff development for the next semester, so if I stuck with the 100 books in a summer goal, I'd have to be able to crank out about 1.5 books a day to accomplish it... Not realistic. Not with a whole new school year of lesson plans to tweak/write/find, a new home (hopefully!) to finish putting together, a garden to tend to (I plan to spend many joyous hours there!!), and a kitchen to continually dirty just to re-clean (all for the sake of delicious edibles that will TOTALLY be worth it). :)

So I adjust... I am trying to decide whether I want to stick with the 100 books goal, and just start now, or if I want to lower the goal number... I'm open to suggestions.

So, I leave you with a book that Aaron and I found as we browsed the books section of a local shop in Cape Coral, Florida just before Christmas. It caught our attention for being awesome, and we stood in the aisle and read it, in its entirety, together because it continued to be awesome. It's called Dinosaur vs. Bedtime by Bob Shea. I plan to own this book when we start having little ones. Count on it. If you have little ones, you need to be heading to the store to get your copy. :) P.S. You can click the picture of the book to see a YouTube video of the author reading the book :) i love it. :)
Happy Book Hunting!

love, denise

5 comments:

Lindsey said...

you cannot start your "summer of 100 books" now, it's 20-something degrees outside!!! that's cheating.

no, you need to wait until there's a consistent week with 70 degrees or higher temps. i will then fully support and applaud your reading adventures.

.love.

denisie power said...

hahaha ok. i like your suggestion. :) I'm surprised you're the only one with an opinion! hahaha :)
also, when are we hanging out?!?!?!

Alyssa said...

I support your reading habits whenever you are ready, despite the weather... reading in the cold is wonderful.... and I would like to own that book now... right now... so I could have Ryan read it to me when he tucks me into bed.

Kate said...

I was excited to see that you are reading Hatchet. That's one of my favorite books!

Thanks for posting this. I've read most of the books on your list, but there are a couple that I'm excited about getting and reading. Hope you are having a great week! :)

Unknown said...

I love seeing all the pictures of bookcases and books. I love that you are taking the chance to read all the books that you were never forced to read in school. I can't wait to see your list!